BREAKING: Health Secretary announces Tier 2 lockdown status for Erewash

Published on: Thursday, 15th October 2020

The Health Secretary Matt Hancock has announced that the borough of Erewash will move into Tier 2 lockdown restrictions this weekend from 0001 on Saturday.

Speaking in the House of Commons, he included the area in a list of which also included North East Derbyshire and Chesterfield.  The change to the 'high alert' means that there must be NO mixing between households from Saturday morning at just past midnight.

Mr Hancock said: "We must take firm and balanced decisions to keep this virus under control.  This is the only way to protect lives and livelihoods" and added that the action was being taken in response to a sharp rise in infection rates He added: “In all of these places, cases are doubling in less than a fortnight.

“For all of the areas entering the high alert level, the change will come into effect one minute past midnight on Saturday morning....”

What does Tier 2 mean?

  • For households In a Tier 2 or high risk area, there must be NO social mixing indoors
  • You should not move into a neighbouring 'low risk' area to meet friends and family.
  • Travelling in and around 'high risk' areas is allowed, as is travelling from a high risk area to areas outside.
  • You cannot escape the social-mixing ban simply by travelling into a lower risk zone.
  • There is no reason why you can't go from a high to medium zone but if you live in a 'high alert' area, you CANNOT meet indoors with people from outside of the area, unless exemptions apply.
  • Exemptions DO NOT apply for social trips.
  • If you live in a Tier 2 area and have a holiday booked in an area currently with a 'medium risk' rating, you CAN still go on holiday but only with your own household or support bubble.
  • A support bubble is one nominated person, and this cannot be changed merely for convenience - this person must live alone. but is combined with another household.  Once in place, a support bubble is fixed.
  • You can still travel out of a 'high risk' zone to visit friends and family as long as you ALL stay OUTSIDE AND there are no more than SIX of you.
  • For those wishing to go into a Tier 2 area, there is no law against it, but the Government is asking people not to do so.
  • Students can travel in and out of 'high risk' areas to study, as can workers in order to work. 
  • Students living in a 'high risk' area cannot travel home into a medium risk area and must not move backwards and forwards between your permanent home and a term-time address during term-time - this is subject to limited exemptions set out in law.
  • Apart from social visits, there are exemptions for business travel and childcare.  You can read more on these at

Share this story:

Tell us YOUR news...

If there's something happening in your area that matters to you and feel that the rest of the borough needs to know about it?