play_arrow
Erewash Sound Love Music - Love Erewash
play_arrow
Derby Market Hall has events for all to enjoy, this Summer Erewash Sound
today15 August 2026 7
A Sandiacre man has been banned from driving for his part in an incident in which he followed another driver who was described as “a serious collision waiting to happen.”
28 year old Reese Edwards of Bostocks Lane, Sandiacre, was driving behind 25 year old Tommy-John Mustafa as part of actions which were filmed via smart glasses.
A court heard that Mustafa regularly used the glasses to record himself recklessly driving his highly modified Toyota GT86 in the months prior to the incident in which he lost control and collided with three victims.
A statement from Nottinghamshire Police said that two of the young men injured were riding Nottingham council-rented e-bikes, and another was on foot as they made their way home from a night out in the early hours of 22nd June 2025.
As they lay on the ground with multiple fractures, Mustafa fled the wreckage of his burning car and later reported it stolen. Forensic collision investigators determined that he had attempted and failed to negotiate a right-hand bend in Nottingham’s A52 Derby Road at 85mph when the collision occurred.
At the time of the crash, a 30mph speed limit was in place because of roadworks near the Queens Medical Centre.
Mustafa and Edwards, travelling in convoy were tracked from the scene and arrested later that morning. His mobile phone was examined and found to contain a series of damning videos in which he was recorded driving dangerously by his own smart glasses.
The videos showed him driving at 130mph on the M20, speeding through a built-up area at 70mph, and generally driving in an aggressive and antisocial manner.
Although no footage of the collision was recovered, a pair of damaged smart glasses was found abandoned in his heavily damaged car.
Following his arrest, Mustafa was breathalysed and found to have alcohol in his system. During his first police interview, Mustafa claimed the collision had been caused when he braked sharply and was hit from behind. He also said he was unaware that anyone had been injured. Evidence gathered during the investigation showed this was not the case.
He later pleaded guilty to three counts of causing serious injury by dangerous driving and perverting the course of justice.
Mustafa, of Lindfield Road, Broxtowe, also admitted two further counts of dangerous driving relating to offences he recorded using his smart glasses.
Appearing at Nottingham Crown Court on Thursday 13th August, he was jailed for six years and six months and disqualified from driving for seven years and nine months, and will not be allowed to drive again until he has passed an extended retest.
Detective Sergeant Charlotte Henson, of our Serious Collision Investigation Unit, said: “This young man was a serious collision waiting to happen. “He clearly made a habit of driving in an aggressive, antisocial and dangerous manner before his luck finally ran out.
“When that happened, he was fortunate not to have killed any of the three victims he ploughed into. Unsurprisingly, this has been a very difficult ordeal for each of them and their families, and my thoughts are with them today.
“As Mustafa finally faces punishment for his actions, I hope this case serves as a reminder to other drivers about the potential consequences of driving in this way.”
Sandiacre resident, Edwards, who also left the scene after the crash, pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing to drink-driving and failing to stop after a road accident. He was disqualified from driving for 20 months.
Video footage can be seen here, courtesy of Nottinghamshire Police.
Written by: -
Office: 0115 888 0968
Studio: 0115 930 3450
Erewash Sound, The Media Centre, 37 Vernon Street, Ilkeston, DE7 8PD
© Copyright 2026 Erewash Sound CIC. All Rights Reserved. Company Number 6658171.